It's been about five weeks and I realize now that I don't feel like a stranger in this home.
I get up in the middle of the night and I don't feel lost.
I have even thought of our other house and now, the truth be told, it would feel weird to be in that house.
We have now had nearly all of my siblings here for a visit. My best friend and a friend from Brainerd has been here. Having friends here makes it more like home.
I've given directions to several people now and did ok.
I can drive to get groceries and have been to many more places the past few weeks that makes me feel more comfortable within the city. For the first few (or maybe the whole month) I would be driving and I'd make a u-turn nearly every time I went out, because I was lost. "Are you lost again mommy?" my kids would ask. I huffed, "Yes, I am lost again."
I've relaxed about getting everything painted. The walls are cream...so what?? It's just that I really crave some color and personality in this place that reflects more of who we are.
I am really just embracing this process of getting adjusted and I'm much happier for it.
The kids now just call it "home" instead of: "Are we going to the new place?"
As an answer to my own question, "when does a house become a home?" Somewhere around five weeks, one starts feeling as if it's not going to take forever to feel as if this house will become home.
No comments:
Post a Comment