The school bus rolled up to the corner of our street. The stop sign came out from the side of the bus and the lights flashed but no one got off.
"No one at this stop!" the bus driver hollered out the window.
For a moment I panicked thinking that somehow Zachary must have not made it on the bus. I imagined him sitting at the school in the office or maybe he was on the bus but not knowing what to do.
"I have a son that should be on that bus," I hollered back. "His name is Zachary."
The bus driver looked up in his rearview mirror and said something. There was no response. I couldn't see in the bus. I wondered if maybe Zachary really wasn't on the bus. But my suspense was broken when Zachary's smiling face appeared from around the bus. He ran across the street and threw his arms around me.
"I missed you mom!' he exclaimed. "I had fun! Can I ride the bus again?"
I was relieved to have Zachary back home safe and sound. His neighbor friend also greeted him by throwing her arms around him. As soon as we got to the garage, Zachary threw off his backpack and he was playing. I asked him questions and he was really nonchalant. It was a big day, but not a big deal. There weren't specifics. Just this big smile and eagerness to go back again.
Later, I heard bits and pieces of what he did during the day. But the important thing was he made it through his first day. And so did I.
No comments:
Post a Comment