Tuesday, September 16, 2008

When Winning Is Everything

Sometimes winning can be everything. Especially if it's someone else who is winning.

The boys and I were playing a board game the other night and Zachary won the first game. Which he celebrated with a dance. Karsten took this hard and said it was "no fair." But the second game, Karsten won and he cheered for himself. As we were playing the third game, Zachary leaned over and said, "Mom, I sure hope you win this time," and gave me a hug. Karsten agreed. Thankfully, I did win and they both cheered.

On the following day, while Zachary was at school, Karsten and I played "slap Jack." And for a while, I really had to delay my response so that Karsten would have a fighting chance. After a few times, he got it. A Jack came up and I waited for him to slap it and I noticed that he wasn't doing anything. "Karsten, look!" I said. "I know! I want you to win mama," as he smiled and leaned over to give me a hug.

There are plenty of times they compete and fight to win. Then, there are these times when they make me so glad that I'm their mom and I get to watch them really celebrate watching someone else win.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all wish for other people to win?

No comments: