Friday, October 17, 2008

Mashing Pumpkin

Sometimes I really get a notion to do things from "scratch".

So when we went to the pumpkin patch, I thought it would be cool to get a real "pie pumpkin" to make pumpkin goodies, rather than buy pumpkin in a can.

I had no idea that making pumpkin puree from scratch was so labor intensive. After the whole experience, the pumpkin in the can sure looked convenient.

I started by cutting the pumpkin in half and digging out the seeds and stringy stuff. We saved the seeds to bake (another ordeal).

Then I had to peel the pumpkin and cut it up. I baked it in the oven (after researching it online). Then I let it cool and tried to use a food processor but it was too chunky and didn't process. So I mashed the daylight out of it. Then I actually put it in a mixing bowl and tried to whip it. It ended up being very orange and very lumpy. But I measured it out and froze some and put some in the refrigerator to make some pumpkin pancakes.

The seeds, I boiled and seasoned and baked. They turned out really pretty tasty.

After all of this, I was rather proud for having taken a pumpkin from a patch and taking it through the process of being pureed. And I'll even be more proud when I use it in a recipe. But as I looked at the pumpkin in the can sitting on a shelf, I really thought the whole making it from scratch was a bit overrated. Especially as I thought of myself mashing that pumpkin. Some things we totally take for granted. Pumpkin in a can represents many hours. I know. I tried it. But I bet when I taste those pumpkin pancakes, I will totally be able to tell that it was made with homemade pumpkin. :-)

No comments: