"You are now on the wrong track," Jason's phone repeated as we made a detour.
We actually used the GPS system that he has in his phone on the way home from a trip to the orchard. In fact, as we kept going on the wrong track, it told us to make a U-turn ahead and get back on the right track.
We knew where we were going, but decided to check out a nearby college campus.
But as I listened to Jason's phone tell us that we were now on the wrong track, I wished that it would be just that clear when I had made a wrong track in life. We're sailing along and we may get a sense that maybe this isn't the way we're supposed to be going.
I remember many times when I was driving and I couldn't recognize where I was going and instead of turning around or getting directions, I kept driving thinking that sooner or later I would recognize something. Almost always, I ended up turning around, but I had miles to retrace. I would argue with myself about the fact that I should just stop and turn around as soon as I get that sense I'm headed in the wrong direction.
I wish I could say I've never done that in my spiritual life. I wish that I've never had to retrace my steps and go back in the right direction.
We may not all have a GPS in our car or on the phone, but as believers, we do have One Who does give us direction. It may not be as clear as "turn right in 50 feet." But He does give us a sense of where we should be headed. He does tell us when we need to turn around.
Ultimately, we will end up making lots of U-turns. Do we wait until we have traveled many miles on the wrong track or as soon as we sense that it's time to turn around?
I've learned that traveling on the wrong track longer doesn't make it a right track eventually. Turning around might be the best way to get back on the track.
No comments:
Post a Comment