This year's fireworks show in St. Cloud was the best ever. It may just be because I haven't been to see fireworks in a long time, but this year made it very worthwhile.
This is our first week in St. Cloud and even though unpacking isn't complete, we decided that we needed to celebrate and enjoy our nation's holiday.
We made the trek down to one of the parks near the Mississippi river with a couple of chairs and mosquito spray in hand. We parked blocks away and we saw the swarm of people already gathered to watch the fireworks.
It was especially meaningful for me this year to hold one of our kids in my lap and watch the fireworks. Jason sat next to me with Zachary on his lap.
It's great to see fireworks with a toddler. Their reactions are immediate and enthusiastic.
It was great to see families out together, playing, eating and just enjoying the really gorgeous day.
We usually did a fireworks fundraiser for the last three years and it was nice not to be working and enjoying the day with the rest of the city.
I thought of our soldiers who weren't with their families and their families who were missing them.
I thought how much the cost of living has gone up but some things are still free: time with our families and friends.
I thought of how free we are to complain about our country and it's leaders, while enjoying all of the benefits of being a citizen in this great country.
As these thoughts flooded my mind, I sat in awe of how much we have to be thankful for.
The fireworks finale was the best finale I've ever seen. The intensity of the fireworks and their splendor actually made my heart race. The crowd was in total appreciation as well, as they whistled, clapped and hollered at the show. I hope that we all remembered too, that what we were celebrating today is really worth celebrating. It has cost individuals and families a great deal for us to enjoy this day, the way we do.
So thank you to those who made it possible for us to enjoy the many benefits that we do. May God bless you. May we never take for granted all that we have and enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment