I stopped when I ran out of steam, literally.
I have been removing wallpaper and it does not surrender easily.
I have removed border before and I never realized what a light task that was. Then, I came upon THE wallpaper. The thick kind that has been glued on with wallpaper superglue. The kind that has bonded with the wall itself and has no plan on parting from it.
When we first looked at this house, when I stepped into the bathroom, it literally took my breath away. Dark, forest green wallpaper with little gold diamonds. And to top it off, a dark, purple flower border. I didn't know what to say. I knew that if we bought the house, it was coming down.
But it hasn't been coming down without a fight. I tried the "tiger" that punctures little holes into the thick wallpaper to allow the thick paper to absorb the wallpaper remover solution. All that did was make the wallpaper come off in tiny little strips and left the wall very gooey.
It was off to "steam" if off. And that works much, much better. But it is still tedious. At times, I would get long, wide strips off all at once and I felt like some kind of genius. But those moments were few and far between. I was praying as my gooey fingers and little putty knife scraped away the bits of wallpaper that there's nothing worse in the world. But there is. There are lots of things worse. And I don't know if it was supposed to help me, but there were plenty of things way worse than removing wallpaper.
I was getting quite a long list of really awful things in the world that's much worse than removing wallpaper, but I ran out of steam. My little steamer ran out of water. That was my cue to take a break. And clean up my mounds of sticky, gooey wallpaper pieces.
By the way, don't let your kids help you pick up the pieces. Because you can end up with two gooey kids with no wallpaper pieces actually in the garbage bag.
No comments:
Post a Comment