Oh, as I say that I don't have time to write about the boys...there comes to mind a story that happened just this past week.
Jason got the boys a Wii. When the game first came out, we barely blinked. Our kids were too young and we had very little time for games like that. Then, they experienced playing their cousin's Wii at their grandma and grandpa's house. Then it became a sensation for us too...we joined the rest of the world.
Anyway--mostly the boys play it but sometimes I get a chance to play too. So I decided to play for a little bit. What I didn't realize was that I am really bad and the boys are really good. Is it because they are "practicing" more or is it because I'm still awkward and uncoordinated when it comes to video games? Either way--my points kept going down. I didn't think I could nearly get a "0" as I played more. I was trying to beat a level. But Zachary and Karsten wanted to offer me "hints." I told them that I could handle it, this is only a game! I'm an adult! They are kids! I can't be "taught" by little kids how to win at a game! But the more I played the worse I got.
Finally, they saw my frustration and suggested that I start at the beginner's level. Their reasoning? I would feel better they said. "If you go to level 1, you'll win and then you'll better mom!" Finally, after losing over and over, I started at level 1. And I won! The boys threw their arms around me and Zachary said, "See mom! You won! Now, how does it feel to win?"
It felt pretty good to win, I had to admit it! And I also had to admit that sometimes my kids are right. When we insist on winning our own way, we can become frustrated. Sometimes, winning at simple things can restore our dignity. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment