Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Duck and Her Guy

We were speculating about the duck. When did she eat? Did she have a mate or was she a single mom? If she has a mate, does he sit with the eggs or does he bring her take-out?

Well, Jason was up at about 3:15 am the other morning, unable to sleep. Normally, he doesn't have any problems staying asleep. But he was up and he said that he heard a "bang" by the house. He looked out the window and saw a duck sitting in the yard. He suspects that it was the female duck's "mate." The formal name for a male duck is a "drake" but I'll call him her "guy."

Apparently, the male duck "sat" with the eggs while the female went to eat. That's what we think. Jason didn't see it all but we are filling the gaps.

Tonight, at about 8:00 pm, I went outside to take out the garbage (Jason normally does, but he's gone to a conference). I peeked behind the bee balm to look at the duck and (gasp!) it was gone! I wondered if something had happened. I went over and moved the bee balm and saw that the eggs weren't visible either. So I took a nearby tool and moved the wood chips. I saw the eggs underneath. So, perhaps, the duck's guy didn't show up at 3:15 am last night to sit by the eggs and relieve her of her duties. So she decided she needed to get something to eat. But not before she hid the eggs really well. So I will be checking in on her to see when she comes back.

No comments: