Monday, March 30, 2009

Bad Shoes

I have blisters on my feet today.

I wore heels with my suit and that's totally appropriate and they looked great. But they were not good for a 45 minute walk. After about 15 minutes, I felt myself kind of limping along. As I was limping along, I swore that I would get rid of these good looking, but uncomfortable shoes.

I wondered why I don't ever plunk down money for really, good comfortable shoes. It's because I like having variety and I don't have an income to buy really, good comfortable shoes in many shades and shapes. So I buy cheaper shoes, so I can indulge my desire for more colors and variety.

Today though, I came to a new conclusion and I am making a change. I got rid of my good-looking but uncomfortable shoes. No more blisters. No more hobbling. Some of these shoes I kept because I could wear for the length of a church service. As soon as I came home, they got kicked off. But after today, I seem to have new, unnatural muscles in my legs. I drew the line. The shoes are going.

Which reminded me, there are so many other things, relationships and thoughts that I hang onto, even though it's totally uncomfortable. I should have gotten rid of these shoes a long time ago. But it took a very painful walk for me to get there. Pain can sometimes really motivate us in the right direction. Some pain is worth it. Childbirth pain is worth it. Uncomfortable shoe pain is not. It's time for new shoes. I may not get to buy many varieties and colors, but this time, one good, comfortable and nice looking shoes is worth more than five pair of uncomfy ones.

No comments: