Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Empty Laundry Basket

I plunked the laundry basket down in the boys' room. Then it was off to practice the piano with Zachary. I was mentally checking off the things I had to do. Practice the piano--in progress. Put laundry away afterwards. And my list went on.

As Zachary was playing, Karsten came popping out of the room with an item of clothing in his hand. "Who's is this mom?" he asked. "Um, that's not yours, it's Zachary's," I replied hastily as I went back to helping Zachary with his lesson. "I hope he's not rummaging through all of the clean clothes," I thought to myself.

A few seconds later, Karsten appeared with another item of clothing and asked who it belonged to. This went on as Zachary played the piano. The piano lesson was done and I was off to tackle my list of chores.

I headed into the boys' room to find an empty laundry basket. "Karsten, did you put all of the clothes away?" I asked astonished.

"Yup!" he replied so proudly.

"Wow!" I replied. "I can't believe you put them all away by yourself!"

I went and opened the drawers and found that indeed, he had put everyone's clothes in the right places. The few times that he had assisted me in putting away the clothes was enough for him to remember where things went. I felt a sense of gratitude wash over me that a little child could help so much. I felt bad that I had assumed he was just looking through the clothes.

"Am I good?" Karsten asked. He wanted to help out and be a big boy without being asked. He thought of someone else and how he might put a smile on their face. I was touched and amazed that a four year old had that kind of insight.

"You are good. Thank you so much Karsten," I said as I gave him a squeeze.

So often we underestimate. We underestimate how much a little child can do. We underestimate how much a little deed can lift the load of someone who has an on-going list of to-do's. I underestimated a little guy with a big heart. The sight of the empty laundry basket reminded me that we can do that for others. We often think that we don't have the time to really make someone's day. Karsten did what he could do and what he did was enough to make me appreciate how much we can help each other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your posts immensely. They bring a smile to my face and a lift to my spirit. Give Karsten a hug for me, what a sweet, thoughtful little boy!

Gayle said...

Thanks Lauri for your compliment. I am so glad that you enjoy it! I sure will give Kasrsten a hug!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's the little things that mean sooooo much!