Sunday, March 15, 2009

Training Wheels







It ought to have been a little more dramatic and even more symbolic. But it happened rather suddenly and without a lot of pain.

Zachary is now riding a "two-wheeler." Last summer he gleefully rode around the cul-de-sac and we didn't even think about taking off the training wheels. We had just moved and we were just happy that the kids had a safe area to ride their bikes. Karsten even took to his bike and was flying around the neighborhood on his little bike.

On one of our first really nice days, we got the bikes out. But one of Karsten's training wheels was broke so his bike was out of commission. But we figured that Zachary could train without his wheels and Karsten could have his wheels. So off went Zachary's training wheels. Yesterday wasn't so promising as Zachary teetered and tottered back and forth as we guided him from behind. It seemed that it would be awhile before he got the balance down. My arms hurt from trying to balance him, so that he wouldn't wipe out.

Today, with steely determination, Zachary was on his bike every chance he got, asking for us to help him. And by evening, he was riding without help. A big smile plastered his face the whole time. There is nothing like riding a bike as fast as you can, without the aid of little wheels.

I thought the process of going from training wheels to a two-wheel bike would take more than two days, more pain, more transition and be more symbolic. It wasn't. I guess some things aren't as difficult as we might have anticipated. I am sure there will be something else that will totally make up for that. But for now, I will enjoy seeing the determination of a little kid totally pay off. I wish life was like that, more often.

No comments: