Saturday, August 29, 2009

First Day of School--Grad School Style

My bag was packed. My lunch bag was ready to go. My ride was ready and I was officially ready for the first day of school.

As the boys dropped me off for my first day of classes, I was actually not nervous anymore. I had spent the past few weeks being nervous and the good news is, I had exhausted nervousness. That day it was replaced with excitement. I knew that I'd finally be in class, going over syllabuses and getting acquainted with my class mates.

I did do that whole thing of walking around and around the hallways of the building to figure out where I was supposed to be. I furtively peeked in some classes as I passed by. I found my class and found a seat. My first class consisted of octagon tables so we sat around in groups.

Thankfully, we had plenty of introductions all throughout the week. We realized that we had a wide range of students. We had young students who recently just finished their undergrad degree. We had others like me; who hadn't been in school in awhile, had kids etc. Others commuted considerable distances to come to school. We will all be in this program together, everyone in the same classes. We have been told that our cohort will become like family to us. No one else will understand what it's like to be going through this particular program, at this particular time, like our cohort will.

My rating of my school experience so far? Really good! I felt energized by being in class and meeting new people. It's only been one week, but we are already getting to know each other. Yes, there's hard work ahead. And there's plenty of talk and anxiety about our upcoming presentations. But we're excited to have this opportunity. Sometimes when I am on campus, it's very surreal walking around with books in my bag and knowing that I am attending class. All of that anxiety I had, suddenly felt like it was a very long time ago. Funny how we are when it comes to the unknown. Now it's about handling it all as it comes...one day at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was great hearing it "in person" over the phone with you the other day. Too often we wonder what we've gotten ourselves into. Sooooo glad to hear that it went well and only increased your enthusiasm and confirmed the certainty of your endeavor, honey. TW