Wednesday, December 1, 2010

GPS

I was driving to a destination the other night and things did not go as planned. I ran into a closed road, which forced me to follow some detour signs. I told my GPS to find an alternate route. I followed it around some curvy and narrow dirt roads. What I did not know was that the GPS didn't know where it was leading me.

I soon found myself traveling down little dirt roads with snow drifts covering the edges. I was careful to keep my eyes ahead and nervously steered down the skinny roads. The pitch black surroundings were intermittently broken up by white snow flakes in the glare of my headlights. I noticed ahead that this little dirt road ended. I saw golden spikes ahead and no more road. I stared in disbelief as my GPS pointed straight ahead with a road that it claimed was there. But the road had ended abruptly. Shaking my head, I backed up and put my gear in drive. The van was stuck. Thinking that I needed to simply try going back and forward again, I reversed and stepped on the gas. Nothing. I heard the tires spinning. I kept going back and forth to no avail. I was stuck.

I couldn't believe this was happening. I made a call and the person offered to find me and come and pull me out. I was relieved. I called Jason and he was at a loss as to what to do. "Just pray," I said. As I waited to be rescued, I try to dig out the tires with my windshield scraper. I was still stuck. I was beginning to feel the helpless creep in. I was sitting alone, in the van in what appeared to be middle of nowhere. How long would I be here? Shoot, I only have a quarter tank of gas. Why, why didn't I feel the tank earlier? Can police find people who don't know where they are? If the guy can't find me, what will I do then? I am really lost. I am so lost, only God knows where I am. Don't cry. It's nothing to cry about. You are going to be fine.

The phone rings. He can't find me. Where did I turn? Do I remember the road names? How far did I go before I turned here? I can't remember the road names. I remember two of the roads and he doesn't know where they are. I am beating myself up because I didn't remember more. Why didn't I look and pay more attention? It took my longitude and latitude coordinates before he can start looking for me again. I call my friend...asking her to pray. Just then, there is another call. I see headlights and I have never felt more grateful to see a set of headlights. I have been found.

I have never felt more glad to be home. I have never felt more glad to have been found. Lesson? The GPS is not all knowing. And all roads do not lead to your destination. Sometimes it leads you straight to a muddy swamp.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, there are some roads that lead nowhere and not all guidance given is sound advice.

When we get too dependent on the leading of others it becomes more difficult to find our way back to the right road.

Glad it wasn't an eternal destination you were headed for.
:-)