Monday, June 16, 2008

Not Normal

"Mom, you better take me to the hospital," Zachary said seriously.

"Why? What's wrong with you?" I asked.

"I'm not acting normal. Remember what the nurse said?" he explained.

Zachary was referring to when he hit his head on the brick fireplace downstairs and he was bleeding. I rarely can maintain composure when there's blood and it's even worse when it's one of the kids who's bleeding. This time, I was in a controlled panic when I saw him hit his head and saw the blood running down his head. My first reaction was to want to take him to the hospital.

I called the nurse on duty and she had recommended that as long as I was able to stop the bleeding from the small gash on his scalp and that as long as he was acting normal, that he'd be ok. I relayed this to Jason, all the while, Zachary was listening intently to every word.

"You're acting normal," I laughed.

"But, I'm not!" he insisted.

"Yes you are," I said.

Thankfully for all of us, the definition of "normal" is pretty broad. Otherwise the hospital would be full of people who are "not normal."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gayle! I've missed your blog! Do you still have the same email address or not? I'd love to catch up! Leave a message on my blog or send me a message.