Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Getting To Know My Birth Mom

I got another letter from my birth mom and some photos of her when she was younger. I think she was younger...she seems younger. I am waiting for a translation and it always takes some time. I am not nearly as anxious this time because I got to read her first, emotion filled letter. I've responded to her with my own emotion-filled letter. I gave her as much information as I could to really reassure her that we were all ok. And so I feel like we will probably begin to reminisce more in this letter about the brief amount of time that we did spend with her. Here's an excerpt from my letter to her:

"I had so many questions once I received your letter and was wondering how you were doing. I am so glad that you did marry and had children to raise. I am glad for all that you were able to do for us, even if it was for a brief time. Don’t feel guilty anymore for giving us up for adoption. It was sad and painful for us all, but God used it for our good. We are doing well now. We are happy and we are blessed. God is so good to us.

Your letter helped me to know how you were feeling and that was important to me. I hope that one day we can see each other face to face. We want to come to Korea one day to visit. But it may not be for a few years. We are saving money to be able to travel. We also would invite you to come here if that is possible. Until then, I look forward to getting to know you through our letters. I promise to write often. I hope that you will too.
"

I feel like I have a unique privilege of getting to know my mom through letters. Most of us grow up with our moms before our eyes, seeing them daily. While this would have been wonderful, I appreciate this chance to get to know her now.

I don't think that I would have had the maturity and the understanding to appreciate my mom for who she is, like I am able to now. I still have my fair share of questions, but I feel like I value the process much more. I also know, because I am a mom, the unfathomable, intense love that we feel for our children and how it's healing for her too, to know where we are and what we're doing. I feel incredibly blessed when I think of my mom over in Korea corresponding with me. Each of us healing places in our heart that we never knew needed such healing.

I am thankful for the opportunities that God gives us to find closure in these kinds of situations. I know that it doesn't always happen that way. So I really give glory to God for making this possible. I pray that He will help my mom and I really cherish this unique opportunity to become acquainted as mother and daughter and also as friends.

1 comment:

Nikki Andriani said...

I am very proud of you - you are an amazing woman, Gayle!