Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bliss

I have never, ever been someone who enjoyed quite time. That all changed when I became a mother.

I love and adore my boys. Most of my days tend to revolve around them and their interests. They like going to the library, going on walks, playing outside, going swimming, having books read to them, etc. They love to eat constantly. And it's unbelievable how much time we spend eating. The time it takes to buy groceries, cook the food, eat it (and remind them to eat and not run around, chatter etc) and then clean up the dishes. This doesn't even include the snacks. Then there's the constant laundry. I get pretty obsessed with getting stains out. That's quite an ordeal since we have two boys and one likes to wear his food and the other likes to get really comfortable with grass and dirt. So, all this to say that our days tend to be very busy.

In all of that busyness, I don't often have time to be just by myself. But I have a very brave and practical husband. He gives me time by myself. (Many thanks honey!) He will pack up the boys and their stuff and take them to grandma and grandpa's for the weekend. I get the entire house to myself. I don't have anyone to look after, but me.

At first, I was pretty unaccustomed to this free time. In fact, I missed having everyone here. But now, I'm quite giddy when Jason plans a weekend and takes the boys and I know that I will be home alone.

I realize how much calmer I feel. I relax. I catch up on the recorded programs. I play games on the computer. I stay up late and sleep in. I took a walk alone and it felt great. This calm, this time alone makes me feel human again. I did have some productive things I had to do, but mostly, I relished eating a salad that I picked out of the garden and enjoyed quietness. It was so lovely. It made me realize that I normally DO have a lot going on. I have been enjoying this wonderful time by myself.

Being a mother has made me appreciate new things. Quiet. Calm. Silence. Ahhhhh, such bliss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am ever grateful for a hubby who loves to be home all the time, but how I wish he would pack up just once in a while and leave me to myself for a day or two! Score one for Jason! 8o) TW

Gayle said...

When he does, call me! :0)