Monday, May 11, 2009

Learning Korean

I finally took a bigger step today.

I am going to relearn Korean. I was always a little frustrated that our adoptive mom discouraged us (actually forbid us) from speaking in Korean.

I took a small class at a Korean church that I was ministering at. But it was very difficult to get a hang of the alphabet and the pronunciations.

I just got a program that is taking me step by step through the alphabet and pronunciation. I did pray that God would just restore that language to me. That would be so nice! But this time, I am so much better at it! Maybe it's because I have motivation. I really want to be able to say something in Korean to my birth mother when I see her one day. I want to be able to converse a little with her and not stare at her blankly when she talks to me. If I visit Korea, I want to be able to travel around and not feel totally helpless.

Eventually, I want to be able to figure out what the letters say and we can communicate back and forth. Hopefully, I can work on it through the years and become fluent. I want to be able to travel back and forth perhaps helping other adoptees and their parents.

Looking at my mom's pictures gives me motivation to learn Korean because I know that it's the language that she speaks. It's hard to believe that at one time I spoke it as my only language. With God's help, I hope that I will become proficient in it once again.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You go, Girl!

AJT said...

I know what you mean. When I went to Korea I struggled with it a lot. I remember specifically one time I was sitting with my host mom in Seoul and we were trying to converse with each other. We just looked at each other and started laughing. Laughter must be a universal language. I hope to go back either the summer or fall to take classes at a local Korean University.

Gayle said...

Do you speak it at all? I get into trouble if I greet people in Korean because then they start talking in Korean and give me a very disappointed look when I can't say anything else. I once had an older Korean lady chew me out in Korean (I assumed she was by her tone and her frown on her face) and wag her finger at me because I couldn't respond to her in Korean.