My letter to my birth mother is now in the mail.
Waiting for the translation of the letter was much harder than writing a letter to my mom. I had plenty of time to respond to her because I was able to re-read her letter over and over.
I sat down and wrote down what I wanted her to know.
I wanted to reassure her that she didn't need to feel guilty anymore. I wanted to let her know that we have a good life here. I told her how glad I was that we were in touch. I told her how thankful I was that we both shared a faith in Jesus. It was amazing to me after all of these years, she in Korea and me in the US would find faith. God sustained both of us through our very different paths. I told her I look forward to meeting her in person. I told her of some of my memories of her. I remember some things quite vividly. I know that that will probably surprise her. Some people are surprised by how much I remember. I was eight. And I think because there was such a sharp contrast from my life before and then after eight, I remember it well.
I know that she must be anxious. She's probably wondering when she will finally hear from me. I sent the letter to the agency in St. Paul. They will send it off on Friday of next week. It will arrive in Korea on Tuesday. And I don't know how long before she will get it into her hands.
Sending her the letter was really freeing for me. I can't wait to get a second letter from her. I was amazed how much my birth mother thought that we were alike. I think as we get to know each other more, we will find out how true that may be.
While I wait, I diligently study my Korean. Hoping that as I practice, an opportunity will present itself for me to use it in a way that is truly meaningful.
1 comment:
I'm so glad that you are getting this opportunity to communicate with your birth mother. Regardless of how much or how often you communicate or how the relationship develops, just having a chance to connect in some way--hearing her story and sharing the life you have developed--has got to bring some satisfaction and peace to you both. TW
Post a Comment