Friday, May 8, 2009

Who My Mom Is

"It will be like finding a needle in a hay stack", the agency said when we began the search process. The possibility of finding my birth mom would be remote. Her name may have been changed. We didn't have our hopes up and we didn't expect too much. So, I didn't think too much about it. I was excited to get a letter from my birth father's family. It was more than I had expected or imagined.

I didn't know what I was in for, getting my birth mother's letter. I had a lot of mixed feelings that I hadn't too deeply considered before. I accepted as a kid that it was the best thing for us. But I really began to wonder what she was feeling and what was going through her mind.

Then the translated letter came to me via e-mail late one night. I read the pages, weeping and understanding the emotions that my mother was experiencing. And the questions that I had didn't matter as much.

Her honest, heart-felt letter let me know that she was human. She experienced much pain all of those years. I had only begun to experience some of that anguish in the last week. She had lived with it for years. Not finding peace and contentment...just yet.

Twenty-five years ago she brought me, my sister and brother to an agency. We never saw her again. And now we have seen glimpses of each other's lives through letters and photos. I can't look enough at her pictures. She is my mother but we don't resemble each other. She thinks we do.

I discovered through her letter that we do have a person in common. We both know Him and love Him. He has been loving her and caring for her, as He has been loving and caring for me. He has given her hope and joy in the midst of her painful years, as He has given me hope and joy. I was once her daughter. She was once my mother. But now we are both the children of the same Father.

I don't know where this journey will lead. But I'm taking it, one letter at a time, rediscovering who my mom is.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

don't know what to say. This journey called life has such twists and turns. Love you.

Lauri Moser said...

Happy Mother's day Gayle. I can't imaginge the emotions you must be going through this Mothers day as you embark on this journey of reconnecting with your birth family, and especially your Mom. I really pray that it will continue to be a positive experience for you and answer some of those questions that you didn't know you had or want to ask. I am awed at you and the amazing loving person, Mom, and wife you've become considering the things you have been through and the role models you've had. That can only be a God thing. Thanks for sharing these deeply personal and moving experiences, they are truly a blessing!

Gayle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gayle said...

Wow Lauri. Thank you for your kind words and touching comment. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, it's because of our heavenly Father Who lovingly cared for me through all of those moments. I also want to say to you that Jen and you have a very special mother-daughter relationship and I can see that you truly appreciate each other. That blesses me. :0) Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Gayle said...

Oh, I am sorry it looks like a comment was deleted. I deleted my own comment because I needed to fix a spelling mistake and apparently you can't do that without deleting it. So, I need to do a better job of proof reading!

Michelle said...

I'm standing with you Gayle in this time of discovery--through the ups and the downs.
Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

It's so awesome that you and your mother both knows the same God. What a blessing!!! TW