Monday, June 8, 2009

Kimchi

When Jason and I were first married, we really wanted to make kimchi, so we tried experimenting with ingredients. We ended up using hot sauce to make it and it was very acidic. I remember sharing a jar of it with my friend Tom, who commented that it was "vinegary". And it was. We were living in Minneapolis at the time, where there were quite a few large Asian grocery stores. But we didn't know that it existed! We stumbled upon them one day and seeing gallon jars of kimchi was like heaven on earth. We could not believe that we didn't think of looking for a store that sold it!

Now we make trips to a Korean grocery store called, "Seoul Foods" to get kimchi and seaweed. We like to eat Korean food every once in awhile. But when we do eat it, it is so satisfying. We also eat at a place called "Mirror of Korea" that serves yummy Korean food in St. Paul. Our favorite Korean foods are: bulgogi, bi bim bop and kim bop. Bulgogi is a marinated beef that is cooked with onions. Bi bim bop is a dish that has various sauteed veggies with a soft cooked egg on top. Kim bop is like a sushi roll. We also like Jap chai. This is a noodle dish with veggies and beef. I also really like noodles with a plum sauce but the restaurant doesn't serve it.

My friend Kathy sent me a link about kimchi and I learned some very interesting facts! I did not know that kimchi was so healthy! Read more by clicking the link below.

Kim Chi: Korea's National Treasure: http://www.healthmad.com/Nutrition/Kim-Chi-Koreas-National-Treasure.764055

If you're ever in the neighborhood, we can have you over for an adventurous meal. Not everyone likes Korean food but most people like to try it.

3 comments:

Lauri said...

All those names for Korean food would have made a great song from the fifties!

Lauri

Michelle said...

I'll come over any time...I love eating Korean food! You are both great cooks!

Gayle said...

Korean words really can be funny Lauri! I am going to write a post on that whole idea!

Michelle, I know you do. You are very "international" and I love that about you.